Schools

studentOur parish is fortunate to have two schools as part of a local community – St Peter in Chains for infants and St Gildas’ for juniors. Today the schools operate as “The Federation of St Peter’s and St Gildas’ Catholic Schools”.

The best place to start to find out about the schools is on their website https://stpetersandstgildas.co.uk/

Admissions

Details of the admissions process for both schools, including the closing date for completed applications, are published in the Autumn prior to the year of admission i.e. published in September 2019 for admissions in September 2020.

Transfers to secondary school

Details of Catholic Secondary Schools Open Evenings are publicised in the Newsletter and here on the website each Autumn with the arrangements for obtaining signatures on the necessary Priest Reference Forms.

‘The Friends’

The Friends of St Peter’s and St Gildas’ schools is a social and fund-raising group that arranges many activities to raise necessary funds to support the schools. All contributions and support are welcome and all talents can be profitably used! To learn more about ‘The Friends’ or get involved, visit their website http://www.friendsofstpetersandstgildas.com

Click to learn how St Gildas' School came to the parish

Strangely enough one day the post brought a mysterious postcard to the sisters with these three words: “Come, See, Triumph”. It was signed from “The Canons Regular of the Lateran”.

This postcard, sent to the sisters of St Gildas’, in Somerset, was the first sign that their prayers had been answered. The sisters of St. Gildas’ had already established two schools in Somerset and wished to establish a third in London. In North London, Fr Regan, a Canon Regular and Parish Priest, prayed for a Catholic school in his own parish, Stroud Green, where there was none. When he discovered, through a third party, what the Sisters wanted, he saw that they were the answer to his prayers. And so the mysterious postcard was despatched.

 

On a hot June day in 1914, two Sisters, in their cumbersome habits, journeyed from Somerset to meet Fr Regan and view suitable premises for a school: a large private house called ‘Crouch Hill House’. A shock awaited them. Builders were in the process of demolishing Crouch Hill House, Fr Regan reacted quickly. At his instigation, the demolition was stopped; and later Crouch Hill House, instead of being demolished to make way for a lucrative development, passed into the hands of the Sisters of St Gildas’ with the damage made good.

On 19th April 1915, St Gildas’ opened its doors to its first six pupils: Miss Kathleen Normile was one of them. On the school’s Golden Jubilee in April 1965, she spoke to the ‘Hornsey Journal’ of the excitement of that first day. She was then aged five and lived on Inderwick Road. She went to school with Kenneth Smith (aged 6) who lived nearby. Their four companions were Dorothy Pond, Molly Costello, Katherine Moylan and Eva (whose surname she could not remember). She kept in touch with Katherine but lost sight of the other girls. However, she knew that Kenneth had joined the Royal Marines in the Second World War, and was captured by the Japanese in 1942. He worked on the Burma railway, of which is said that for every sleeper laid, a worker died. Kenneth Smith was one of those who died.

Through a century of social and political upheaval, St Gildas’ has continued to provide a Catholic education for thousands of children.

This historical information has been taken from a two-and-a-half page document (writer not identified) prepared, we think, for the Golden Jubilee in 1965. Where the information in this document contradicts Miss Kathleen Normile’s recollections, we have given preference to Miss Normile’s first-hand account. However, further and better information would be very welcome.